Sheffield Wed – Southampton Prediction Prediction and Tips for today
Best soccer tips for today CHAMPIONSHIP: Sheffield Wed – Southampton Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, August 4, 2023.
Football: ENGLAND: CHAMPIONSHIP – ROUND 1
Kick-off: 20:00 Sheffield Wed – Southampton
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:2 WON!!!
Sheffield Wed – Southampton Prediction and Preview
- The 2023/24 Championship season opens with a clash under the Friday night lights of Hillsborough between two of the league’s new boys. Newly promoted hosts Sheffield Wednesday have had a rather tumultuous summer with Darren Moore departing just 21 days after sealing their place in the second-tier, a peculiar decision considering that he boasted the second-best win-rate of any Wednesday manager in club history (51.2%).
- For better or worse, Moore’s exit made way for Xisco Muñoz to take the helm, the former Watford boss who achieved promotion to the Premier League (PL) back in 2021. The Owls face a race against time to bring in fresh faces ahead of the big kick-off, and with just two wins across their last six league openers (W2, D2, L2), a positive start isn’t guaranteed. Even so, Muñoz insists “we’ll give our best” to provide scant hope to the Owls faithful on his home league bow.
- Unlike their hosts who will be looking to ensure survival, freshly relegated Southampton will be aiming for an immediate return to the PL after their decade-long stay ended with a whimper as they finished rock-bottom last season. There have also been wholesale changes at the South Coast club, with new boss Russell Martin taking the reins from the departed Rubén Sellés, and question marks remaining over the futures of several of their first-team squad.
- The defensive additions of £10.5m man Shea Charles and Martin’s former player Ryan Manning should give the Saints a strong foundation to build upon, something they’ll desperately need as they look to end a nine-game run of winless opening league games (D4, L5). If they are to end that torrid run, a tight affair may be in store, as Southampton’s last five wins in away H2Hs came via a 1-0 scoreline.
- Players to watch: Long-serving Owls defender Liam Palmer has been promoted three times with his club, and he even featured with a goal and an assist in their incredible comeback from 4-0 down in the League One play-offs. He’ll be trying to offset arguably the Championship’s hottest talent in James Ward-Prowse, whose future remains uncertain. Despite only David Beckham netting more PL free kick goals, Southampton’s star man scored from the spot when these two sides met in the League Cup last season.
- Hot stat: Southampton have won all four H2Hs across the last 13 years, conceding just once in the process.