Nijmegen – Excelsior Prediction Prediction and Tips for today
Best soccer tips for today EREDIVISIE: Nijmegen – Excelsior Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, August 12, 2023.
Football: NETHERLANDS: EREDIVISIE – ROUND 1
Kick-off: 11:15 Nijmegen – Excelsior
Tip: Home Win
Match Result: 3:4 LOST
Nijmegen – Excelsior Prediction and Preview
- NEC Nijmegen famously declared their ambitions to reach the playoffs for European football at least once within five years of their promotion to the Eredivisie, but have failed to do so in their first two attempts. The departure of Oussama Tannane was a big blow to those hopes, but replacement recruits Sontje Hansen and former youth player Bram Nuytinck have ensured that the Nijmegen faithful have something to look forward to in the new season.
- It was anticipated that right winger Elayis Tavşan would have been sold by now, but at time of publication he’s still on the books. It appears that Magnus Mattsson will hold Tannane’s starting position for now. The Dane, who was mostly posted on the left flank in previous seasons, left a good impression as an attacking midfielder during the pre-season. One thing that is for certain is that manager Rogier Meijer won’t have strongholds Dirk Proper (suspended) and Philippe Sandler (injured) for this clash with Excelsior Rotterdam.
- Excelsior would love to win their first away game of the new Eredivisie season, just as they did in 2022/23, but that’s where they would hope for the similarities to end. Defeating the relegated Cambuur turned out to be the only win they would book on foreign soil all season (D3, L13) and it almost cost them their place in this season’s Eredivisie. They nonetheless escaped with survival and finished with the worst goal difference of all teams not directly relegated.
- There was some improvement to their football from mid-March onwards and that was in part due to the pair of loanees Arthur Zagré and Kik Pierie, both of whom enjoyed their experience and have moved to Rotterdam permanently. In addition, the club has strengthened itself with two mercenaries from fellow townsman and national champion Feyenoord: Lennard Hartjes and Mimeirhel Benita are wearing the jersey of the club from Kralingen this year.
- Key battle: NEC’s Stijn van Gassel was one of the busiest goalkeepers of the league last year and consequently made by far the most saves (five per game on average) of all keepers. made by far the most saves of all goalkeepers in the Eredivisie last season (5.0 per game). He could be tested by some attacking plays from Calvin Verdonk, who delivered two assists in the previous H2H.
- Hot stat: NEC Nijmegen won only 33% of league matches as favourites last season (W5, D8, L2), one of the worst win rates in the competition.