Plymouth – Southampton Prediction Prediction and Tips for today
Best soccer tips for today CHAMPIONSHIP: Plymouth – Southampton Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, August 19, 2023.
Football: ENGLAND: CHAMPIONSHIP – ROUND 3
Kick-off: 12:30 Plymouth – Southampton
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:2 WON!!!
Plymouth – Southampton Prediction and Preview
- With four points from their opening two league games, Plymouth Argyle have enjoyed a fine start to life back at Championship level so far. After brushing Huddersfield Town aside with a 3-1 win on opening day, the Pilgrims made the trip to Watford, who had thrashed QPR 4-0 in their opener, and returned home to the Westcountry with a commendable 0-0 draw.
- Back at Home Park, where Argyle have lost only one of their last 14 home league games (W12, D1), Steven Schumacher’s side will take on Southampton in their first H2H at this level since December 2008. Plymouth have lost only one of their last seven home league matches against the Saints (W3, D3) too, so ought to fancy their chances of maintaining that strong record against a side who have already conceded eight goals across three games in all competitions this season.
- Although they have struggled to keep the back door shut, Southampton have had no trouble finding the back of the net themselves and are joint-top scorers in the division with six league goals ahead of the round. Boss Russell Martin continues to be plagued by off-field disruption though, with captain James Ward-Prowse departing for West Ham, while the summer-long Roméo Lavia saga finally appears to be reaching a conclusion as he nears the exit door.
- Martin now looks to the rest of his squad to fill the holes left by two such influential players, and Adam Armstrong has taken on the mantle of chief goalscorer, although even his two spot-kicks couldn’t inspire the Saints to victory in a breathless 4-4 draw with Norwich last time out. Troubles at home aren’t unfamiliar for Southampton who won 14 of their 25 Premier League points on the road last term, and having raised the curtain on their Championship season with a 2-1 win away to Sheffield Wednesday, the Saints now go in search of successive league wins on the road for the first time since June 2020.
- Players to Watch: Plymouth forward Morgan Whittaker has scored twice and assisted three more goals from his last two league appearances at Home Park. Similarly prolific, Adam Armstrong has proven to be one of the best at Championship level, netting ten times in his last five second-tier games.
- Hot Stat: Plymouth have failed to score in only three of their last 24 home league games.