Ajax – Lille Prediction and Tips for today, February 25, 2021
Match Preview and Predictions
- It was a successful night for Ajax in France last week, who brought a 2-1 lead back to Amsterdam for this UEFA Europa League (UEL) tie. The omens look good for progression given that they’ve won six of their last seven home matches in this competition (L1) and didn’t concede more than once in any of those fixtures.
- The Dutch champions are currently on a run of 15 competitive matches without defeat, with 13 of those games ending in victory, and have now netted 2+ goals in seven straight fixtures. Whilst in terms of goals being scored at home, Erik ten Hag’s men have netted the opener before the 30th minute in three of their previous four competitive home games.
- The UEL hasn’t been kind to Lille when on their travels, and they’ve won just two of their previous 16 away matches in this tournament (D6, L8). Both of those victories came in this season’s edition of the competition though (W2, L1), and they’ve also scored 2+ goals in their three UEL away matches so far. Of potential note is that six of their nine goals during that sequence arrived after HT.
- Including last season’s UEFA Champions League clash, Lille have met Ajax three times since the start of 2019/20, and have tasted defeat on each occasion. This will add to an already existing dislike for Dutch teams after PSV beat them at this exact stage of the UEL back in 2010/11.
- Players to watch: Dušan Tadić scored in the last meeting and has been directly involved with 19 goals in major European competition for Ajax (nine goals, ten assists). Lille’s dangerman could be Timothy Weah, who’s scored in his previous two UEL appearances.
- Hot stat: Only three sides have been fouled more than Lille in the UEL this season (average 14 per game).
|Head-to-head matches: AJAX – LILLE|
|18.02.21||EL||Lille||Ajax||1 : 2|
|27.11.19||CL||Lille||Ajax||0 : 2|
|17.09.19||CL||Ajax||Lille||3 : 0|