Al Ahly – Palmeiras Prediction and Tips for today, February 11, 2021
Match Preview and Predictions
- Al-Ahly may feel exhausted after their first competitive encounter with European opposition, and their semi-final exit at the hands of UEFA Champions League holders Bayern Munich was the least surprising result of this FIFA Club World Cup (CWC) edition. Al-Ahly are expected to lose again, and their last two CWC campaign-ending games have yielded defeats by a 2+ goal margin.
- A mere 2-0 defeat to Bayern in the semis was something of a moral victory for Al-Ahly, but history is firmly against the Egyptian club, who have a poor overall record in the CWC (W4, L10). Two of those defeats came against Brazilian opposition by a one-goal margin, which is respectable in the context of those ten defeats producing an average margin of 1.70.
- Palmeiras are clear favourites to finish third. Yet, in contrast to the other semi-final, they were the subject of an upset against Tigres UANL, going down 1-0 to a penalty after a goalless first half. It stretched their run of competitive games separating the teams by under 1.5 goals to five (W1, D2, L2), with four of those games yielding one goalless half.
- Although this is Palmeiras’ first CWC campaign, they have a national tradition for entertainment to follow. Both of the previous Brazilian entrants to the third-place playoff have prevailed in matches with over 4.5 goals and both teams scoring, but despite this tradition for sharp twists, Palmeiras are notably unbeaten in nine competitive fixtures after scoring first (W6, D3).
- Players to watch: Al Ahly have won in all 16 of Hussein El Shahat’s competitive goalscoring appearances. Meanwhile, Palmeiras will look to Luiz Adriano for inspiration in the final third, as he’s netted ten goals in 21 league appearances this term.
- Hot stat: The average margin separating the sides across the 16 previous CWC third-place playoffs is exactly 1.00 goals.