Werder Bremen – RB Leipzig Prediction and Tips for today, April 30, 2021
Werder Bremen – RB Leipzig Match Preview
- Enduring their worst-ever Bundesliga losing streak (L7), a cup distraction is probably needed for Werder Bremen, who remain at risk of dropping out of Germany’s top tier after 40 consecutive seasons. They reached this semi-final after winning ‘to nil’ in the four previous rounds, albeit vs lower-tier opposition each time, but here they face a RB Leipzig side that’s led either 2-0 or 3-0 at HT in four straight H2Hs.
- Bremen have home advantage, although four straight HT/FT defeats here is worrying – especially as one came vs Leipzig. However the six-time DFB-Pokal winners have exceptional cup form, and have only been beaten by Bayern Munich at home since 1988/89 in this competition, whilst scoring the opener by the 30th minute in ten of their previous 11 DFB-Pokal home fixtures!
- Leipzig need a cup distraction too, as not only does the title look lost to Bayern, they also lost their manager Julian Nagelsmann to the German giants too, with that move announced in midweek. That could unsettle the visitors, who have already failed to win three of the last six games in which they started as favourites (W3, D2, L1). However just like Bremen, Leipzig didn’t concede en route to this semi-final, winning despite a -1 handicap in all four previous rounds.
- The 2018/19 DFB-Pokal runners-up also won despite a -2 handicap in four of their last six Bundesliga road trips (W5, L1), during a run of games that curiously saw Leipzig score between minutes 40 and 50 in four.
- Players to watch: Milot Rashica scored in the last H2H, and incredibly, the last 12 Bremen games he’s netted in saw both teams score and over 3.5 goals. Marcel Sabitzer also scored in that H2H, and has netted in four of Leipzig’s last five away wins – three times after HT.
- Hot stat: Leipzig have scored the opener by the 15th minute in five of their last six DFB-Pokal away games.