Utrecht – Groningen Prediction and Tips for today, May 19, 2021
Utrecht – Groningen Match Preview
- Utrecht and Groningen lock horns in this playoff semi final as the two sides battle it out for a spot in next season’s newly-formed UEFA Europa Conference League. Another tight affair could ensue though, as these teams shared the points in both of their H2Hs this campaign, whilst five of their last seven Eredivisie meetings have ended in stalemate – two of which finished 0-0.
- A quick glance at recent form in the Dutch top-flight would indicate that Utrecht have the upperhand here. However, despite looking strong overall across their last ten matches (W4, D4, L2), René Hake’s men have struggled on home soil of late, returning just two wins in seven attempts (D2, L3). In fact, those seven matches saw the hosts concede over 1.5 goals on four occasions whilst they failed to keep a clean sheet in any.
- Groningen arrive here out of shape themselves, returning just eight points from their final ten Eredivisie matches (W2, D2, L6). During that run, the visitors found the net just nine times – the joint-second fewest in the league across that stint – which carried on their underwhelming season trend in front of goal, scoring the joint-third fewest goals league-wide (40).
- The visitors’ form on the road this season has been remarkably indifferent (W7, D2, L8) and with just 15 of their 34 Eredivisie games witnessing both teams score (44.12% – a joint league low), the first goal here could be crucial. To emphasise that, Groningen have been ahead just four times at HT on their league travels this campaign and have won just twice overall when falling behind this season (16 instances).
- Players to watch: Utrecht’s Sander van de Streek is the club’s top scorer this campaign with 11 strikes, four coming before the 20th minute. Meanwhile, Groningen youngster Jørgen Strand Larsen has nine goals this season; his side remain unbeaten when he’s got on the scoresheet (seven matches).
- Hot stat: Utrecht have averaged a league-high 7.59 home corners this season.