Slovakia – Spain Prediction and Tips for today, June 22, 2021
Slovakia – Spain Match Preview
- After falling to a loss last time out (W1, L1), Slovakia need a positive result here in Sevilla to book their place in the knockout stage for the second consecutive time at a European Championship. History is on their side given that they’re unbeaten in their final group stage game at both of their previous two major tournament appearances, both of which were also against current top-ten FIFA ranked sides (3-2 vs Italy 2010 World Cup, 0-0 vs England Euro 2016).
- Despite that, Slovakia have only won one of their previous six H2Hs with Spain (D1, L4) – although no previous meeting has come at a major tournament. If they’re to improve on that record, then they need to sharpen up their attack. Štefan Tarkovič’s men have hit the joint-fewest number of shots on target (two) in the competition so far and have drawn a blank across two of their previous three internationals.
- After what’s been a very slow start (D2), Spain need a crucial victory here to guarantee progression into the knockout phase and, thankfully for them, they go into this match-up boasting a 100% record against their opponents on home soil (W3). However, they need to shake their habit of stalemates – they’ve now drawn each of their last four major tournament matches (Euros and World Cup). Notably, only Portugal in 2016 have drawn all three group stage matches and progressed out of their group.
- The Iberian side have actually drawn six of their last ten international matches (W4), despite taking the lead in half of those deadlocks. In fact, Luis Enrique’s men scored first in six of those combined ten encounters, with each of those opening goals arriving before HT.
- Players to watch: At the end of Euro 2020 MD2, Slovakia’s all-action Juraj Kucka had both committed the joint-highest number of fouls (six), and suffered the second-most number of fouls against (seven). Since his debut in October 2019, Gerard Moreno has been directly involved in nine goals for Spain (five goals, four assists), that’s more than any other player.
- Hot stat: Slovakia are yet to lose back-to-back games under manager Tarkovič (W4, D5, L2).