Bolivia – Argentina Prediction and Tips for today, June 29, 2021
Bolivia – Argentina Match Preview
- Bolivia have already crashed out of Copa América (CA) 2021 with three straight defeats, marking their eighth group stage exit in this competition in the last nine editions. Those defeats now make it 11 consecutive CA losses, ‘La Verdes’ worst such run in the history of this tournament. Breaking that sequence here looks like an impossible task for César Farías’ side, who last won on foreign soil 24 games ago in Myanmar!
- With only pride to play for, Bolivia will be looking to finish on a high but history suggests otherwise. They’ve failed to win their last group stage match in the previous eight CA editions (D3, L5) with their last such victory coming in 1997, famously finishing as tournament runners-up on that occasion.
- Consecutive 1-0 wins has both stretched Argentina’s unbeaten run to 16 internationals (W9, D7) and confirmed a Group A top-two spot, although finishing first is a must to avoid rivals Brazil at the semi-final stage. A victory in this fixture will guarantee top spot and Argentina need only look to their H2H record since 2015 (W5, L1) and CA H2H record since 1979 (W4, D2) for inspiration.
- While bigger tests lie in wait, Argentina have a lot to improve in the final third. The ‘Albiceleste’ recorded just eight shots in their last game against Paraguay, their joint second-lowest under manager Lionel Scaloni. Their lack of second-half scoring also remains a concern, as Lionel Messi & co have scored 11 of their last 12 goals before HT, the lone exception coming against Bolivia.
- Players to watch: Messi is in line to become Argentina’s most-capped player (148) and should he score, it will be only the second time in five CA appearances that he’s netted multiple group-stage strikes. Meanwhile, Bolivia’s all-time top scorer Marcelo Moreno has scored two of their last three H2H goals.
- Hot stat: Argentina were leading and Bolivia were trailing 1-0 at HT in each of their three CA games respectively.