Angers – Lyon Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, August 15, 2021
Angers – Lyon Match Preview
- Angers got their seventh consecutive Ligue 1 (L1) season off to a dream start with a 2-0 win at Strasbourg, doing so by facing only seven shots, the fewest of all L1 sides playing away on the opening weekend. Given they conceded an average of 1.53 L1 goals per game last season, their Round 1 clean sheet represents a big improvement.
- The hosts will be bidding to refine home form this season after they finished the previous campaign with more points won on the road than at home (H21, A23), a record that wasn’t helped by just one win across their final eight home games (D2, L5). Victory here would not only go some way to fixing that, but it’d also make new boss Gérard Baticle the first Angers manager to win his first two L1 fixtures.
- On the contrary, Lyon could start a new L1 campaign without a win across their first two games for the first time since 2010/11, after a 1-1 draw last week, and considering they missed out on UEFA Champions League football by two points last season, they’ll want to get points on the board quickly here.
- ‘Les Gones’ are, however, sporting an unbeaten run of 17 away league games (W11, D6), the second best such run in Europe’s top five leagues! If they were to score, it would be their 20th consecutive L1 goalscoring outing. They’ll see Angers as the perfect opposition to secure this record given that they’ve scored more goals against them than any other L1 team (103).
- Players to watch: Angers’ Angelo Fulgini scored 70% of his goals in the first half last season, while Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar has six goal involvements vs Angers in four L1 appearances (G:2, A:4).
- Hot stat: Lyon lost only once when starting as an away L1 favourite in 2020/21 (W9, D7).