Match Preview: Derby 1-0 West Brom Prediction and Betting Tips | Championship
Derby – West Brom Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, December 27, 2021
Football: ENGLAND: Championship – Round 24
Kick-off: 16:00 Derby – West Brom
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Derby – West Brom Match Preview
- After heavy point deductions, Derby County remain rooted to the bottom of the table with just four points, and must put together a run of form reminiscent of a promotion candidate if they’re to somehow survive. Who better to face then than an actual promotion candidate in West Bromwich Albion, a side they haven’t lost to at home since 2003 (W3, D2).
- This will be a well-rested Derby side after Covid-19 postponements means their last game was played on December 11. That was a 1-0 home win which continued their hard-to-beat form at Pride Park this Championship campaign (W4, D5, L2), form that’s been built on conceding the opener just once at home so far – a league-low.
- This match will likely have been earmarked by West Brom as having three points potential, and with Fulham and Bournemouth above them struggling in recent weeks, the ‘Baggies’ need to put together a winning run if they’re to muscle themselves into the automatic promotion places. Eight draws – one of the division’s highest returns – has been holding them back so far, although an exceptional record when scoring first (W10, D1, L1) shows this side isn’t willing to give up a lead once ahead.
- Former Bayern defender turned West Brom coach, Valérien Ismaël, has transformed the ‘Baggies’ into the division’s best defensive side (0.74 goals conceded on average per match), but it’s upfront on the road where his side must improve if they’re to return to the Premier League at the first attempt. Indeed, West Brom’s average of 1.08 goals scored per Championship away game has seen them record just a 33% away win-rate so far (W4, D4, L4).
- Key battle: Derby’s Tom Lawrence has scored all five of his Championship goals at home, including three first-half openers. However he has a hard task here against West Brom keeper Sam Johnstone, who has registered a league-high 11 clean sheets coming into this round.
- Hot stat: Four of the previous five H2Hs saw the opener netted by the 20th minute.