Match Preview: Senegal 1-0 Zimbabwe Prediction and Betting Tips | Africa Cup of Nations
Senegal – Zimbabwe Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, January 10, 2022
Football: AFRICA: Africa Cup of Nations – Round 1
Kick-off: 14:00 Senegal – Zimbabwe
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Senegal – Zimbabwe Preview
- Senegal were the first team to qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) through on-field performances, and as they’re unbeaten in 11 matches (W8, D3 – outcomes at 90 minutes), hopes are high that they can finally claim their first continental title. Bidding to go one better than their runners-up finish in 2019, they’ll open their campaign on the backfoot after a number of players and staff tested positive for Covid-19.
- Manager Aliou Cissé was captain when the ‘Lions of Tarenga’ reached their first AFCON final in 2002, so he’s aiming to make it third time lucky this time around, and will be happy if Senegal can repeat their feat of keeping five clean sheets in seven matches as they did in 2019. Encouragingly, they’ve opened their last three AFCON campaigns with victories whilst scoring exactly twice – doing likewise in four consecutive H2H wins.
- Although Zimbabwe scraped into the tournament by a single point (qualifying record: W2, D2, L2), their third straight appearance is welcome news after being banned from 2018 World Cup qualification due to financial issues. However, if they’re to improve on four previous group stage exits, they must win for the first time since March 2021 (D5, L7)!
- With just two victories in 12 AFCON group matches (D2, L8), they’ve historically struggled and as six of their last seven games featured under 2.5 goals, defending well could be crucial to their chances of progression. Unfortunately, with one clean sheet across their last six internationals – and none in a H2H since 1993 – the omens aren’t great for the ‘Warriors’.
- Players to watch: Senegal’s Sadio Mané signed off with a goal for LIverpool prior to this tournament and has scored in five of his last seven internationals – four times after the break. Meanwhile, Zimbabwe captain Knowledge Masona was their last scorer on foreign soil.
- Hot stat: Each of Zimbabwe’s last five AFCON fixtures saw the half-time result replicated at the final whistle (D1, L4).
Related 10bet Predictions and Tips:
Match Preview: Georgia - Norway Prediction and Betting Tips | EURO - QUALIFICATION
Match Preview: Austria - Estonia Prediction and Betting Tips | EURO - QUALIFICATION
Match Preview: Kazakhstan - Denmark Prediction and Betting Tips | EURO - QUALIFICATION
Match Preview: Scotland - Cyprus Prediction and Betting Tips | EURO - QUALIFICATION