Sevilla – West Ham Prediction and Tips for today, Match 10, 2022
Football: Europa League – Play Offs – 1/8-finals
Kick-off: 18:45 Sevilla – West Ham
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Sevilla – West Ham Match Preview
- A festival of midweek continental football continues with Sevilla the third of four Spanish clubs to host a UEFA knockout fixture this week as they continue pursuing a record seventh UEFA Cup/Europa League (UEL) trophy. If that isn’t enough motivation, the upcoming final booked for the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium could give them the opportunity to become the first team in 20 years to win a UEFA Cup/UEL final at their own stadium.
- Sevilla have never lost to English opposition in UEFA’s second tier competition (W6, D1), accounting for Liverpool, Wolverhampton and Manchester United on the way to their two most recent titles in 2019/20 and 2015/16. A ten-game unbeaten streak at home in all tournaments (W7, D3) has included six opening goals inside the first 30 minutes of a game, illustrating how strong they start at home.
- West Ham’s successful maiden appearance in a UEL group stage has led to their first UEFA fixture during the spring since the 1980/81 Cup Winners’ Cup (CWC), one season before manager David Moyes made his UEFA debut as a player for Celtic in the European Cup. The now defunct CWC was also the club’s last trip to Spain for any UEFA competition.
- After three domestic away trips without victory (D1, L2), the ‘Hammers’ may welcome a reset to their otherwise promising Premier League campaign in the form of a continental sojourn, and ought to be confident of a shock win after winning 2-0 at Dinamo Zagreb in the group stage – a feat Sevilla themselves failed to achieve just a fortnight ago (L 0-1).
- Players to watch: Ivan Rakitić has opened the scoring from the penalty spot in two of his last four competitive starts, whilst midfielder Declan Rice was one of two players to score for West Ham in two of their UEL group stage games.
- Hot stat: Sevilla have scored 3+ goals in just one of their last 27 competitive matches whilst conceding two or fewer in all 27.