Espanyol – Rayo Vallecano Prediction and Tips for today, April 21, 2022
Football: SPAIN: LALIGA – ROUND 33
Kick-off: 18:00 Espanyol – Rayo Vallecano
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:1 LOST
Espanyol – Rayo Vallecano Preview
- With six games left to go in this La Liga (LL) season, 12th-placed Espanyol are set to maintain their top-flight status and might even sneak an impressive top-ten finish. Late drama has dominated the headlines across their last three matches, with a 89th minute winner vs Celta Vigo being sandwiched between conceding in the 100th and then 96th minute to lose against Atlético Madrid and Real Sociedad respectively.
- At home, three successive LL wins ‘to nil’ have contributed to the ‘Periquitos’ winning an astonishing 31 of their 39 league points on home turf this season. A visit from Rayo Vallecano should boost confidence that they can add to that record further, as Espanyol haven’t suffered defeat in the last 16 home H2H LL matches (W11, D5), with both sides finding the net in 13 of those encounters!
- Rayo can’t afford to let that poor H2H record continue after their 1-0 defeat to basement dwellers Alavés last time out made it 13 LL games without a win (D4, L9). Failing to score in eight of those matches highlights the attack as a big concern for manager Andoni Iraola, who will be looking nervously over his shoulder with his side now just five points clear of the relegation zone – albeit having played one game fewer than most of their rivals.
- They do have seven more points on the board than they did at this stage of their last ill-fated 2018/19 LL campaign, therefore hope shouldn’t be lost yet. However the road to safety would be a lot smoother if ‘Los Franjirrojos’ could improve on what is the joint-worst away record in division (W1, D3, L11) where they’ve won a measly six points while scoring just ten goals.
- Players to watch: Espanyol’s Raúl de Tomás has scored 11 of his 15 LL goals this season at home, while Rayo’s Álvaro García has seen five of his six goals this campaign arrive in the first half.
- Hot stat: Rayo have only won one of their 14 away LL matches this season when starting as betting outsiders (D3, L10).