Match Preview: Hungary 1-0 England Prediction and Betting Tips | UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE
Hungary – England Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, June 4, 2022
Football: UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE – LEAGUE A – ROUND 1
Kick-off: 17:00 Hungary – England
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Hungary – England Match Preview
- Back-to-back promotions mean Hungary are in the top flight of the UEFA Nations League (UNL) for the first time, and they open their Group A3 campaign against Euro 2020 runners-up England at the Puskás Aréna. The sides met at this very stadium just last September when England ran out 4-0 winners but some unsavoury fan behaviour contributed to a three-game spectator ban, which included this game, although 30,000 school children will now be in attendance.
- Marco Rossi’s side have a remarkable record in this competition, losing just three of their 12 group stage outings, with five of their six wins coming when keeping a clean sheet. They also come into this game having won three of their last four, but the Magyars do not fare well when facing the Three Lions. In 15 matches since the 1962 World Cup they have not picked up a single win, losing on 12 occasions, including five of their half a dozen competitive meetings.
- England, ranked fifth in the world, 35 places higher than Hungary, are searching for a fifth successive win. Indeed, they are unbeaten over 90 minutes in 22 outings since losing 2-0 to Belgium in the UNL in 2020, while they have a strong record in this competition overall, finishing third in 2019 and losing just four times in 12 outings (W6, D2).
- Gareth Southgate has an embarrassment of riches at his disposal upfront, with in-form West Ham striker Jarrod Bowen adding to a squad that already includes Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling and Tammy Abraham. That goalscoring prowess is reflected in their recent results, with England scoring 35 goals across their last nine games (W7, D2).
- Players to watch: RB Leipzig winger Dominik Szoboszlai looks a star in the making. He’s netted ten goals for his club this season and has already scored five times in 20 appearances for his country. Harry Kane, meanwhile, has netted 15 times in his last 12 England appearances, including during the 4-0 win over Hungary in September, and is just one strike away from 50 international goals.
- Hot stat: The Puskás Aréna has not been a happy hunting ground for Hungary, who have lost six of their 13 matches there since its opening in November 2019, including that defeat to England last year (W4, D3).