Monza – Atalanta Prediction and Tips for today
Monza – Atalanta Prediction and Tips for today, September 5, 2022
Football: ITALY: SERIE A – ROUND 5
Kick-off: 17:30 Monza – Atalanta
Tip: Over 2.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:2 LOST
Monza – Atalanta Prediction and Match Preview
- Serie A (SA) debutants Monza already look out of their depth, with a pointless start meaning that Silvio Berlusconi has now seen a club under his presidency suffer an unprecedented four consecutive SA defeats. It could get worse though, as another would make Monza only the third top-flight debutants ever to lose all of their opening five league games.
- The other two clubs in question (Treviso and Benevento, in 2005 and 2017 respectively) were both relegated, and that only puts extra pressure on Monza to stay resilient, in what will be the first H2H with Atalanta since March 2000. Yet, with two of their losses to date also seeing an opposition player net a brace, there appear to be specific weak spots.
- That can only encourage Atalanta, and Teun Koopmeiners in particular, with his midweek treble against Torino (W 3-1) seeing La Dea go top courtesy of goals scored. Encouragingly for them, the result ensured that Atalanta bettered the four-game start they made back in 2020/21, which is the club’s latest season to see Champions League qualification.
- While the winter of that campaign remains the last time Atalanta won three straight SA road trips ‘to-nil’ – as they could here, after a flawless start on the road – expectations of a comfortable victory are not swayed, especially given their strong record from SA away matches against promoted sides across the previous two seasons (W5, D1).
- Key battle: Desperately needing extra steel at the back, Monza loaned in two defenders on transfer deadline day. One was Armando Izzo, absent from the Torino squad destroyed on Thursday by Koopmeiners – the first Dutchman to net a SA hat trick since Marco van Basten in November 1992 – who has seen both of his prior SA away goals prove decisive, including the winner in Verona on La Dea’s most recent road trip.
- Hot stat: Only one of Atalanta’s last six SA away wins over newly-promoted sides has seen them get a clean sheet.