Match Preview: Ajax – Rangers Prediction and Betting Tips | CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Ajax – Rangers Prediction and Tips for today
Ajax – Rangers Prediction and Tips for today, September 7, 2022
Football: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – GROUP STAGE – ROUND 1
Kick-off: 17:45 Ajax – Rangers
Tip: Home Win
Match Result: 4:0 WIN!!!
Ajax – Rangers Prediction and Match Preview
- A competitive looking UEFA Champions League (UCL) Group A gets underway at the home of three-time consecutive Dutch champions Ajax, the Johan Cruijff Arena. Alfred Schreuder’s team is a little lighter after former manager Erik ten Hag raided the club during the summer, yet some shrewd incomings, including former Rangers man Calvin Bassey, have helped Ajax to the perfect domestic start (W5).
- Ajax have been fast starters so far this season, leading at all but one interval so far, and with seven unbeaten games across the last eight in the UCL proper (W6, D1), Schreuder will hope that his side can continue to turn domestic dominance into strong performances in this competition. Entering this contest as favourites, a positive overall record against Scottish opponents (W6, D2, L4) may inspire further confidence amongst fans.
- An emphatic 4-0 defeat in the Old Firm derby last time out left Rangers’ title hopes on the ropes, even at this early stage, in a result that boss Giovanni van Bronckhorst said “can never happen again, against any opponent”. That’s a bold statement as the former Feyenoord man takes his squad to face his old De Klassieker rivals Ajax, the side he faced most often without ever winning against as a player (D4, L8).
- The road to a first UCL group stage appearance since 2010/11 didn’t come without its tribulations as Rangers had to claw back deficits against both Royale Union and PSV to qualify. In fact, Rangers’ 1-0 away win in Eindhoven saw them score their first goal in four European away games and secure only their second victory in 12 (D4, L6).
- Players to watch: Steven Bergwijn became the first Ajax player since Luis Suárez to net at least six goals after five Eredivisie games last time out, though he’s yet to score in the UCL proper. As for Rangers, Antonio Čolak has seven goals in ten appearances this season and three came in UCL qualifying, including a decisive strike against Dutch giants PSV!
- Hot stat: Ajax scored at least twice in seven of their last eight matches in the UCL proper.