Arsenal – PSV Prediction and Tips for today
Arsenal – PSV Prediction and Tips for today, October 20, 2022
Football: EUROPA LEAGUE – GROUP STAGE – ROUND 2
Kick-off: 18:00 Arsenal – PSV
Tip: Over 2.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Arsenal – PSV Prediction and PREVIEW
- Despite both Arsenal and PSV playing catch up after a period of UK national mourning saw this game previously postponed, they remain first and second in UEFA Europa League (UEL) Group A. The Gunners have excelled on every front this term, currently sitting at the peak of the Premier League table after picking up 27 of the first 30 available points and they can qualify for springtime European football with two games to spare should they win here.
- A power cut saw Arsenal’s weekend game with Leeds delayed for some time, yet that didn’t stop boss Mikel Arteta from wild celebrations at the final whistle after a difficult game. The passionate Spaniard stated that he “loves the resilience, the fight, the character, and the courage” that his side have shown, and history tells us that might need some of that here, as Arsenal have failed to win five of their eight all-time home H2Hs with Dutch opponents (W3, D4, L1).
- Legendary former Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy brings his PSV side to North London in rampant form. The Eindhoven outfit have scored 17 times across a four-match winning run, including a 5-1 Group A triumph over Zürich on their last UEL away trip, and if they can keep up those kinds of averages, they’ll be in with a great chance of securing their own progression early.
- Van Nistelrooy faced no side more often in his playing career than his 12 appearances against Arsenal and famously missed ‘that’ penalty in Arsenal’s Invincibles season, but this will be his first return in the dugout. He’ll now look to add to his side’s relatively good performance against English opponents with 34 prior encounters in the bank (W10, D9, L15), though PSV’s win rate drops to a measly 22% when considering only games played on English soil (W4, D4, L10), so they may well be happy to ‘go Dutch’ in this one!
- Players to watch: Bukayo Saka has burst into life recently, scoring four goals which were all crucial to the result in Arsenal’s last three consecutive wins. Similarly important for PSV, Cody Gakpo has failed to make a goal contribution in just one of his last ten appearances for club and country (G7, A7).
- Hot stat: Arsenal have only ever lost one UEL home group game (W10, D2), and won each of the last four by three-goal margins.